Main Menu

Explore More

Student Assistance Program

What is it?

Middle School can be a great experience. However, it is also a time when so many things in your life are changing. At times you may feel confused, scared, alone, and overwhelmed.

You are not alone. These feelings are normal for all teenagers. How you choose to deal with these feelings can have a great impact on your life.

All of us are aware of the harmful effects of drugs and alcohol. Many of you will find yourselves in situations in which you feel pressure from friends and others to experiment with drugs and alcohol. Some of you will make a healthy choice and say no. However, saying no may be one of the most difficult things you do, especially if you have not found a healthy way to deal with your feelings and stress. For those of you that did not say no, there is help.

The student assistance program is there to help anyone you know who is experiencing problems with drugs, alcohol, or other issues.

Student Assistance Program Web Site

Partnership for Drug-Free Kids releases new resource for parents on teenage marijuana use
Active and ongoing discussion about the risks of drug and alcohol use between parents and their children is a strong protective factor for reducing the chances of young people getting involved in substance abuse. The Partnership for Drug-Free kids released the new resource, “Marijuana Talk Kit: What You Need to Know to Talk with Your Kids about Marijuana”. Targeted at parents of teenagers, the Talk Kit provides parents with information on how to meaningfully discuss marijuana with their children. The increased prevalence of medical and legalized marijuana, in addition to the normalization of marijuana in pop culture, can make it difficult for parents to talk about marijuana with their children. 41 percent of marijuana users report initiating use before the age of 15, making early parental involvement especially important. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Who/What is SAP?
The SAP is a group of counselors, nurses, and teachers who have specially trained in drug and alcohol use or abuse and mental health issues. They coordinate the identification and referral of troubled students.
Who can make a referral to SAP?
Referrals can be made by students, teachers, other staff members, and/or members of the community.
When would I make a referral to the SAP?
A referral is made when you or one of your friends is troubled by drug/alcohol or mental health issues that make it difficult to function normally at school.
How do I make a referral to SAP?
A referral is made on a sheet of paper or on one of the pink SAP referral forms you can pick up in the nurse’s office, guidance office or from your classroom teacher. Explain the problem you see and sign your name to the form. All referrals are kept confidential. No one other than the SAP members will know who made the referral.
What happens when I make a referral to SAP?
After receiving a referral, the SAP collects information from teachers who have contact with the student. Based on this, the team decides whether or not the student needs to be interviewed. If a student does need to be interviewed, a parent is contacted for permission. After reviewing the information collected and conducting the interview, the SAP will decide if the student needs more help from outside the school.
What happens after the referral paper work is completed by the SAP?
Once a referral is made and future action is necessary, a SAP member will contact the parent with observations, strengths, and concerns that are noted at school. Together, you will develop a plan of action to help the child to the best of our ability.

SAP Members

  • Mr. Jude Sandt
  • Mrs. Amanda Abdelaal
  • Mr. Craig Waters
  • Ms. Lisa Kadar
  • Mr. Brian Barone
  • Mr. Michael Gross
  • Mrs. Megan Jenkins
  • Mrs. Megan Bauer
  • Mrs. Sarah Troutman
  • Mrs. Kerin Steigerwalt
  • Mr. Eric Kutteroff
  • Mrs. Keri Griffin
  • Mr. Darvin Faust
  • Mrs. Diane Ritzenthaler
  • Mrs. Christine Beidleman